Friday, January 17, 2014

Charleston, SC: Travel Throwback

In case you missed my post a few weeks ago, I have decided to do some travel throwback posts of some of my favorite trips before my blog.  Travel posts are my absolute favorite to read so I couldn't help but share some of my favorite trips and experiences!  The first post in this series was my Vegas 2011 trip.  This post will be a little more low key but still fun filled.
 
Charleston, October 2012
 
This was both mine and Kev's first trip to Charleston.  I'm obsessed with trip planning so I was excited to go somewhere with so much history.  Just being honest I am a total tour enthusiast...and there are no shortage of history tours in Charleston.
 
The night before we arrived in Charleston we stayed at Kev's parents condo in Myrtle Beach.  From there it was only a 1.5 hour drive. Coming down HWY 17 South we crossed this gorgeous bridge.
 
 
 
 
To start off the day I had booked a tour with Charleston Harbor Tours.  They had several tour options but we decided the best deal was the downtown carriage tour and harbour tour package.
 
We were able to book tour times ahead so there was no waiting once we arrived at the barn conveniently located off the main street in downtown.

 
Our tour lasted about an hour and was a total blast!  Our tour guide had so much knowledge of the city and a great sense of humor.  He really gave us a lot of information about different buildings and houses.  This was also a good way to find different things we wanted to come back and look at. 
 



 
After the carriage ride we had a couple of hours to kill before our boat tour.  We decided to revisit some sites we had seen on tour to get a closer view. 
Warning:  Charleston in October can get pretty warm in the afternoon.  Temperatures hit in the high 70's.  I soon lost the cardigan and rolled my jeans into capris.

 
 
We had our harbour tour in the afternoon.  Here's a quick shot of our boat.

Kev and I found seats on the top deck and we had an awesome view.  The tour lasted an 1.5 hours and cover a lot of ground...or should I say water. :-)
 
Here are some of my favorite pics from the tour.



 
After that we headed back into town for some shopping.  You know I can't go on a trip without shopping!  Kev and I loved the Charleston City Market!  It was full of cute crafts and gifts.  I scored a pretty Christmas ornament from the Historical Society.


 
 Finally we finished off the day at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.  The food was amazing! I would recommend it for sure.
 
After dinner we drove back to Kev's condo and stayed a few more nights.  We had so much fun in Charleston.  We are hoping to do an extended trip there this year! Fingers crossed!
 


2 comments:

  1. This is too funny- you could have been describing the trip to Charleston my hubby & I took a few years ago. The carriage+harbor tour, down to Bubba Gump's! Did you go on a ghost tour also? Ours was a blast, and lead us to the BEST restaurant (Poogan's Porch).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to do the ghost tour but we ran out of time. We're hoping to go back this fall so that will be top of my list. I've seen several bloggers talking about Poogan's Porch! It looks absolutely amazing!

      Delete